Menu Close

Permit FAQ’S

Do I need a permit for these projects?
IF... ...THEN
I’m completely replacing a deck Yes, a Building Permit
I’m remodeling my kitchen IF walls are moved or structure is changed then Yes, a Building Permit.
I’m replacing my roof Yes, Roof Permit.
I’m installing a new A/C Unit Yes, Mechanical Permit.
My hot water tank needs replacing Yes, Mechanical Permit.
My home is within 200ft of shoreline Most Likely. Call Town Hall.
I’m replacing my driveway Yes, Site Development Permit.
I’m painting my house or replacing trim No permit required.
I’m just doing a lot of landscaping IF 750 SQFT are disturbed, then Yes, Site Development Permit.
I’m building a garden or tool shed If the shed is under 120sqft, a building permit is not required. If the shed is over 120sqft, a building permit is required. The shed still must comply with the Town zoning code regardless if a permit is required.
I’m building a play structure No permit required. Check Town Zoning Code.
  • Tips for home projects and selecting contractors from Labor & Industries:    ProtectMyHome


Trees on Private Property

A tree removal permit is required for any “significant tree” on private property. A “significant tree” is defined as any tree that has a diameter of 18” or greater, measured four and one-half feet above the ground (commonly referred to as 18” dbh, which stands for diameter at breast height). To remove a tree, please submit the following form to Town Hall.

Trees in Town Right of Way

If you have concerns about the health or condition of a tree in town right of way, please submit the following form to Town Hall.

Can I remove a tree if it straddles a property line?

A tree permit is required following consent of the other property owner. If no agreement is reached, you can only trim and maintain your side of the tree.


What is the difference between a hedge and a fence?

A hedge exists when a row of two or more trees, shrubs, or other plants constitute a barrier in excess of six linear feet and establish a boundary, or hinder free passage of humans or animals on the surface of ground, or obscure vision, or baffle sound.

The height of a hedge is mutually agreed upon by bordering neighbors. A fence, freestanding wall, retaining wall, or rockery shall not exceed six feet in height above the finished grade (YPMC 17.12.030).

No fence or hedge shall be permitted which will impair the visibility for vehicular traffic as determined by the Town Engineer.

My neighbor definitely has a hedge, what do I do if I think it is too high?

Do your best to come up with a mutually agreeable solution. The Town’s code enforcement officer only gets involved as a last resort.


Landscaping, Pagodas, and Other

Can I landscape all the way to the road (between the property line and edge of pavement)?

Anything other than grass, grass-Crete, gravel, and asphalt is considered an “encroachment” and requires an Encroachment Agreement granted by the Town in order to be installed. Encroachment Agreement Permit Application

Can I have a free-standing pagoda?

The Town requires all mailboxes to be part of a pagoda. If there is no space on
the pagoda, please contact the Town for help.

How can I locate my sewer or water service?

Our water and sewer systems are maintained by the City of Bellevue. They will provide this information at your request. Bellevue Utilities: 425-452-6932

A stop-sign is down, what can I do?

Please contact Town Hall immediately and we will replace the sign. If it is on a weekend or after hours, please contact Clyde Hill Police Department: 425-454-7187